Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:57:36 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: edquota problem

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 11:16:12AM -0700, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Chuck O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > did you try `edquota -- 2-xhibit' ?
>
> No, but now I did and it doesn't help.
>
> Specifically, I used:
>
>    edquota -- -p usrtmplt 2-xhibit
>    edquota -p usrtmplt -- 2-xhibit
>
> I think this problem really only shows up when you are using a prototype
> user ala -p.

I gotcha. At first look I thought it was a getopt(3) problem, but that
can't be anyway since the username doesn't start with a `-'. I looked
at edquota.c and you're right, if the username supplied to edquota
starts with a digit and contains a `-', it is interpreted as a range.

I'm not sure what the best answer is for the long term. Would a perl
one-liner help the immediate need? e.g.,

edquota -p usrtmpl `perl -e '$u=getpwnam($ARGV[0]);print "$u-$u"' 2-xhibit`

good luck,

chuck