Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:04:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   upsd and Serial Ports

I've set up a mail server at work running FreeBSD 2.2.7. We put the
ol' Pentium on a UPS (APC Smart-UPS 420). The 'upsd' port in the ports
collection seems just the thing to keep the computer informed on what
is going on with the UPS. However, one of the 'To-do' items in the
upsd distribution is to write the manpage. :/

I crossed my fingers and just started the upsd at the command line (as
root, and yes, the serial line from the UPS goes into the mail server
PC), but it complains it can't get the UPS into 'smart mode.' I've
just had enough time to look over the upsd source to realize it will
take me a lot longer to figure out what the heck is going on
there. Similarly, a look over 'etc/rc.serial' did not prove too
enlightening in attempting to figure out how the upsd process and UPS
can get together and work this out.

I look over recent traffic on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc on DejaNews
did not prove too helpful. Can anyone here provide some aid in getting
this up and going...

...Perhaps some kind soul could even consider writing a proper manpage
for the sake of posterity.