Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 19:13:59 +0930
From:      "Frank Brierley" <frank_brierley@hotmail.com>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Building nautilus from the ports tree

Hi,

I've been using gnome for a little while and have been fairly happy with it
- keep up the good work.  Greatly looking forward to the release of gnome2
for FreeBSD.

I initially installed gnome 1.4 from the ports tree and everything went
smoothly.  There was the feeling that nautilus could be improved so after
updating the ports tree with cvsup I used make deinstall on nautilus 1.0.6_2
(possibly) and ran make install for nautilus 1.0.6_5 (port version?).  The
build failed at the following line.

   checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe  ) works... no

Running make from /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce/ checks the C compiler and finds it
working, wierd huh?

The system is running FreeBSD 4.5 with a buildworld this morning (the above
failure occured before and after the build (and install) world.  I even
reinstalled gcc.  All to no effect.

Hope you can shed some light on the situation.

Frank Brierley