Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 06:39:36 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed pkg_delete change

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 02:10:28AM -0400, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> I have a suggestion for pkg_delete: Very often when I'm deleting a package
> (such as kde, after testing the port) I want to delete that package, and
> all it's dependancies; instead of going around looking for the
> dependancies, I think it would be a nice idea to add an option to
> pkg_delete to automatically delete all dependancies that aren't currently
> used by anything else. If nobody is interested in doing this, I can do it
> when I have some spare time (finals here at school). And then submit
> patches.

That would have saved me a *lot* of time about a month ago when I
went and weeded out all of my packages when my /usr filled up.
I basically did what you are proposing by hand and it took forever.
e.g. pkg_delete some_package - oops, it depends on pkg_xxx, delete that,
oops, it depends on pkg_xxx2, and so on, when in reality that only
reason any of those additional packages were installed were for the
original package.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard