Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:05:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Martin Walter <walter@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade Ports like x11/gnome?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Tobias Roth wrote:

> > I'd like to ask about the policy when upgrading a port.
>
> pkg_version -c
>
> this tells you which installed ports are outdated (in reference to you
> /usr/ports directory) and what you have to type to update them. You should
> read the manpages before asking such questions.

But this even deletes all the shared libs of the outdated version - right?
(say in case of libraries etc.)

For example, if a user of our cluster runs some program (installed by
that user) which depends on a special version of the shared libs, I cannot
go ahead and delete it...

So my question was on how to upgrade to a new version of a port, of course
without loosing any functionality.

Any hints?

greets
-Jan