Date:      1 Jul 1996 12:56:12 +0200
From:      "Stefan Bethke" <stefan@Promo.DE>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TCP time-outs on PPP line

Hi,

we are connected through an analog leased line with two USR Courier, =
using 2.1.0R and pppd.

Since upgrading from Linux we experience some TCP "connection timed out" =
failures. It seems that at those moments someone is downloading from our =
HTTP or FTP server (looking at the modem leds and =
ftpwho/xferlog/http-log).

Trying to ping the terminal server of our provider doesn't give a =
response; after 5 or so pings, ping says "No buffer space available".

My understanding is that the already established TCP connection quickly =
fills the output buffer and saturates the line; at this point, a packet =
inserted into the queue will be sent after (worst case) mtu / bandwith * =
queue length (ifq_maxlen) =3D 1500 / 2880  * 50 =3D 27 seconds. (Or, =
taking fastq into account, 54 secs).

What's the solution? Possibilities are
- reduce ifq_maxlen, so ENOBUF will be returned earlier, so TCP will
  (hopefully) send slower earlier;
- reduce the mtu, so a full queue run will be faster, thereby allowing a =
new
  packet to be sent faster;
- devise a mechanism to promote those connections we want to precede our
  external users' connections to the fastq; possibly by promoting all
  packets smaller than xxx bytes to fastq;
- upgrade to a 2 Mbit line :-)

I didn't test any of these yet, because I rather like to have a slow but =
working line...

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Stefan Bethke

--
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. 040/431360-0
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. 040/431360-60