Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:34:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPPoE error messages & kernel modules

I'm a FreeBSD rookie, so I'm not too experienced with kernel modules
etc., but this looks a little weird to me.  When I start pppoe, I get
the following output dumped on the screen:

(this is 4.2R by the way)

sjt-bsd# ppp -background pppoe
Working in background mode
Using interface: tun0
module_register: module netgraph already exists!
linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17
Dec  6 07:28:21 sjt-bsd /kernel: module_register: module netgraph already exists!
Dec  6 07:28:21 sjt-bsd /kernel: module_register: module netgraph already exists!
Dec  6 07:28:21 sjt-bsd /kernel: linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17
Dec  6 07:28:21 sjt-bsd /kernel: linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to register! 17
PPP enabled

It appears to me that modules are being loaded for options that are
already statically in my kernel.  If anyone wants to see my kernel
config or ppp.conf just ask.

This module issue seems to be a little overlooked in the handbook, so I
hope you folks don't mind a couple of questions.  PPP works fine at
this point, so this excercise is purely for my interest.  You know how
it is with these *NIXes - eradicating error messages like these is a
moral imperative!  :)

1 - can anyone explain what is happening here?  NETGRAPH,
NETGRAPH_PPPOE, NETGRAPH_SOCKET, and the pseudo devices ether, tun, ppp
(with option '1') are in my kernel, and my ethernet card is working
fine.

2 - can someone verify for my interest that options in your kernel
config file are static options in your kernel and not modules?

3 - can someone explain how one builds a module as opposed to a static
option?  In Linux it is straightforward, but there seems to be some
stuff happening automagically here.

4 - I had a previous installation of 4.1.1 that didn't appear to make a
ton of modules when the kernel was built, but this install of 4.2
does.  Am I just not remembering correctly, or has something changed?

once again, thanks to any and all respondents

--
Steve Tremblett
Cisco Systems