Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:22:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB/umass in addition to "other" SCSI

Hello -scsi:

How do I "connect" a USB "disk" when I already have a SCSI
HBA & other peripherals installed & operating?  And what will
(should :) be its device-name (in /dev)?

USB devices in this case can be a ZIP-250 USB and/or a USB
digital camera (which mounts just fine in Linux 2.4.x & is
seen as a MS-DOS filesystem).

Umass, scbus, da & pass are configured into the running kernel.
OS is RELENG_4 as of 1 July.

"Camcontrol rescan 0" doesn't show it(?)  But I'm thinking
this will be a different bus(?) & "camcontrol rescan 1" gives
me an ioctl() error.

I'm guessing that I should probably "wire down" my devices
(or at least the USB one?) in my kernel config, but before I
do that I could use some input from Someone Who Know More
About This Than I(tm). :)  That, & I'm not sure about the
kernel-config syntax for this...

I've searched the Handbook & various FreeBSD mailing-list archives
& haven't yet found anything; any FAQ/doc/howto pointers?
(Or a better place to ask?  -SCSI seems the closest thing I can find.)

Please cc replies to me, in case I don't see it in the list.

Many thanks,

-kc