Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:13:31 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        "Donald Orbin" <OrbinDRH@elec.durban.gov.za>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp + dialing different numbers

> I hope this message is coming to the right place... all my other searches
> have been futile.
>
> I am wanting to use the autodial feature to:
> i)  Dial number A if the destination ip address is 1.2.3.4
> ii) Dial number B if the destination ip address is anything else
>
> ie. the BSD box must connect (dial) a certain sserver if a packet to that
> machine is encountered; or dial an isp number if any other ips are
> encountered.

I don;t know if this is possibble, but it certainly begs a lot of questions.
Just one. Most things that will stimulate a dial-out will involve a DNS
enquiry, do you have your own DNS ? If not, which one should it dial ?

..

I would think you could better look at doing this at a higher level,
by having seperate targets in your ppp.conf and (somehow) wrapping
requests up with something that decided which to dial..

I have been thinking about this very problem myself...you really want to
do it at the level of the name of s provider to dial, not an IP address.

I will watch with interest

Cliff