Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:35:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jack Stone <antennex@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shell question

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Jack Stone wrote:

> Folks:
> I have managed to piece together a shell script that is able to retrieve the
> domains from the spams of the day and summarize those in a special file that
> can then be added to the sendmail's rejects in the access.db. But, first I
> have to eyeball the list and remove any obvious good-guy domains.
>
> I would like to create another list of those same good guys that can be added
> to each day as they show up, then compare it to the above main list and
> delete the good guy domains before adding to the access.db.

Greylisting will be much more effective than this approach, and is
easier to implement.  Combine that with sbl-xbl and maybe a few other
DNSBLs, add greet_pause of five or ten seconds, and you have much more
effectiveness with less false positives and much less maintenance.
Adding clamav rounds out the whole thing.  I wrote an article that
covers some of this:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/greylist.pdf