Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 19:41:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
Cc:        Paul Traina <pst@cisco.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Pentium gcc patch, -D__FreeBSD__=2 -Dbsd4_4

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> I don't think our current gcc defines bsd4_4, I'm certain it shouldn't. :-)
> >> There's a well defined way to find out what version of the OS you're runnin
> >> under.

When I did the gcc port, cc failed to compile some sources, because
the correct typedef for us (FreeBSD) was only included, when bsd4_4
would have beed defined. So I had to patch the sources, to add

#if defined(bsd4_4) && defined(__FreeBSD__)
		    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the bsd4_4 definition should be included to make it easier
to compile stuff for 4.4 BSD. It seems to me, that it's for some
people common to test for bsd4_4. It would make it easier to
compile those sources and would decrease the amount of modifications/
patches.

> >> This gives us much finer grained control.

But if other people don't accept that standard ... We
can't force them to accept our "local" standard as "global"
standard...

> >   I think that the gcc *should* define bsd4_4 (or similar).  There's
> >   plenty of software out there which doesn't care which 4.4BSD-derived
> >   system you're running, and this would help, just like __386bsd__ used
> >   to be useful.

Agreed. So I think, too. So could we meet in the middle, that
we add this definition as long as it doesn't disturb us ?
I only see the usefullness as __386BSD__...

Please re-think

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH