Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:45:04 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@imasy.or.jp>
Cc:        Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl, rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org, stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, darrenr@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFILTER IPv6 support non-functional? (was Re: IPF and IPv6)

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 06:51:02PM +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> >In article <20010227152544.A69259@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> you write:
>
> >Turning off ipf starts the traffic flowing instantly, so it's definitely
> >the cause, as does:
>
> > IP-filter does not yet support IPv6 on -stable, see
> > 	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=25403
>
> I heared from KAME guys that even though IP-filter has IPv6 code, it
> doesn't work with IPv6 at all.  It is not only for FreeBSD but also
> NetBSD.

Can someone confirm whether or not IPv6 rulesets work with IPFILTER
on FreeBSD?  I don't have an environment to test this at the moment,
but I'm pretty sure this worked previously.

By the way, if you are loading IPv4 and IPv6 rulesets, I think you
must do something like this:

   % ipf -I -Fa
   % ipf -I -f /etc/ipf.conf             # IPv4 rules
   % ipf -I -6 -f /etc/ipf6.conf         # IPv6 rules
   % ipf -s

I'd like to know before I MFC -DUSE_INET6 for the utilities.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org