Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:05:02 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@myrtle.bogs.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM changer, mount : Device not configured

In message <34589E91.5102@barcode.co.il>, Nadav Eiron cleopede:
>That a CD changer is not supported this way. Just today preliminary
>support for CD changers went into FreeBSD 3.0-current. 2.2.2R has not
>support for interfacing a CD changer as multiple standard CD. What the
>machine sees is a single drive and, if you're lucky, the changer
>mechanism. You may be able to use raw SCSI commands to activate the
>changer and mount/umount the disks manually, but other than that, or the
>new code in 3.0-current, CD changers are not supported, at least AFAIK.

Does this mean that the SCSI driver doesn't grok the Logical Unit
Number (LUN) part of a SCSI device's address?

(CD changers normally change automatically when the LUN of a
just-received request isn't that of the currently loaded disk.
For some reason I have never understood, many people who write SCSI
drivers seem to assume that the LUN of all SCSI devices is always
0, and not only do not support it in their interface code, but
often do not even leave room for it in the data format specifications,
such as minor device numbers for SCSI disks.)

-Greg Shenaut