Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:28:40 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Get mtools's mlabel to bypass the "Big disks not supported on this architecture"

Hello folks,

The HAL will crash if you have label contain with spaces. The mtools's
mlabel can rename the label. But with the default mtools port does not
allow me to do that with my USB HDD external with 160GB FAT32. I get
complain like this:

# mlabel -s c:
Big disks not supported on this architecture

So I have decided to hack in mtools's init.c to get mlabel works my HDD.
With hack, it looks like this:

# mlabel -s c:
  Volume label is MY PASSPORT
# mlabel c:mypassport
# mlabel -s c:
  Volume label is MYPASSPORT

I also have updated it to 3.9.11. I only did that, because I thought that
it might remove that complain in this version without check changelog but
it didn't. So.. I am including 3.9.11 in patch too for no reason. You can
get it here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/mtools.diff

It only will use init.c patch if you run it with USE_AT_MY_OWN_RISK=yes.
The reason I did that is:

# It removes complain about 'Big disks not supported on this architecture',
# but I only have tested it with mlabel. The complain must have added for
# some reasons that I don't know. Use it with caution as it might damage
# your data or something else if you use different tools other than
# mlabel.

I personal don't know if there is other tool than mlabel that can rename
MS-DOS label in FreeBSD. If anyone know, I would like to know too.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org