Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:40:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        David Biggs <dabiggs@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE secondary controller ....

David Biggs wrote:

> Hi, I have a question. I'm running a PII 400 on an Asus P2B-F motherboard. I
> have conectted my hard drive to the primary IDE controller and my CD-ROM to
> the secondary. At this point it fails to detect the CD-ROM at all. I get an
> error in sys. devices indicating that my ide secondary controller(dual fifo)
> is not funtioning properly. I do not want to daisy chain my CD-ROM to my
> hard drive as I understand that since I am running a 7200 rpm drive it will
> not run at the proper speed if configured this way. What should I do to
> correct the problem?

I'm running 3.2-Stable on a P2B-B with 3 IDE HD's and a CDROM as a
master on the secondary channel. An obvious question is did you enable
the secondary channel in the BIOS. It isn't enabled by default on any
of the systems I have used.  IF so, is the CDROM the master because
that seems to make a lot of difference.

Kent

> Any help would be great.
> David Biggs

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html