Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:23:44 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MySQL port fails with "cannot open makefile"

I am trying to install MySQL 3.22 from the ports and it fails
with "cannot open makefile"

Netmax FreeBSD 2.2.7
Running make from "/usr/ports/mysql322-server"

ns1# head -5 Makefile
# ports collection makefile for:        MySQL-server
# Version required:                     v3.22.x
# Date created:                         26 Jan 1998
# Whom:                                 Josh Tiefenbach
<josh@ican.net>

head /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
#-*- mode: Fundamental; tab-width: 4; -*-
# ex:ts=4
#
#       $Id: bsd.port.mk,v 1.302 1999/01/20 01:55:05 asami Exp $
#       $NetBSD: $
#
#       bsd.port.mk - 940820 Jordan K. Hubbard.
#       This file is in the public domain.

I have applied the 227upgrade.tgz

I have built several other ports without problems so I am not
sure if it is a problem with the port or if there is a file in
Netmax which is either missing or in a different directory than
in a regular FreeBSD build.

How does one troubleshoot a port? Is there a way to see which
part in the makefile it is running as to see which is the make
file that it can not open?