Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:54:41 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Jeff Fellin <jkf@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI target driver help

>I am writing a SCSI target device driver to capture SCSI disk commands
>from a SCSI bus, and forward them to a user-level process for execution
>and tracing. I am using an Adaptec 2940 Ultra2 SCSI Adapter boards
>with external SCSI cables connecting the systems.

Your problem is in the initiator side.  Quite recently I fixed a problem
in FreeBSD that prevented async notifications from being delivered to
entities registered to paths with wildcards in them.  The aic7xxx driver
captures the AC_LOST_DEVICE event for all devices on its bus(es).  When
a device is lost, the aic7xxx driver clears out any negotiated transfer
features assuming that if the device returns, it will be async.  Without
the async event being delivered, the intiator will continue to use a rate
that the target does not expect, causing the timeout.

This fix has not been merged to -stable yet due to the code freeze.
If you have access to the CVS tree, pull the last revision to
sys/cam/cam_xpt.c and apply it to your tree.  It should apply without
any problems.

--
Justin