Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:14:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.org, torstenb@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xpm static library

|From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
|> |Just let me jump in here a moment.  All that stuff is controlled by
|> |FreeBSD.cf, which we really ought to get some chance to tweak, you know.
|> |Before it becomes a regular part of a distribution is the right time to
|> |consider it.
|> |
|> |One possibility is to ask that a site.def file be sited in OUR
|> |/usr/share/mk directory, so we could get our own meathooks on part of the
|> |config.
|>
|> Yep, FreeBSD.cf would be the ideal place to '#define
|> ForceNormalLib YES' specificly for FreeBSD.  Would that
|> fix it?  Rich
|
|Yes and no.  It won't fix it as long as the location of that file is
|defined to be inside the XFree86 distribution, where our cvs can't touch
|it.  Would be kinda nice if either that file or site def (which is
|currently in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11config and totally _empty_) were sited
|somewhere accessible to our tree.

Hmm.. like /etc?  That particular location is used for
other things like XF86Config, so there's a precedent of
sorts.   And since it's already used for a similar
purpose by other OSes as well there's a chance it would
be less surprising to them.

|Personally, I would want some chance to mess with the contents of that
|file by giving verbal input to XFree86 members, but not have that inside
|our tree.  I would have the site.def in our tree somewhere, where it being
|empty or missing wouldn't kill things.

There's no reason you couldn't search /etc first for
site.def and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config last.  Would
that help? Rich