Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 13:53:05 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Joesh Juphland <part_lion@hotmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install and boot on secondary master possible ? seems not...

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 09:22:36AM -0700, Joesh Juphland wrote:

> If this is the case, that is, that it is the bios that is at fault, why is
> it that when the computer boots it gets to the F1 ... Default ... boot menu
> ?  If it cannot read that drive to boot off of, why does it get there and
> try, and _then_ fail ?

Good point, I should read more carefully. That menu is in boot0 and
the error message you see is from boot1. My guess (just a guess) is
that boot1 is trying to read disks off of the bad driver. You can
still try a boot floppy. Drop '1:ad(0,a)/boot/loader' (depending on
your device numbering) in boot.config. I've done this when I put
FreeBSD on a second hard drive and don't want to mess with the MBR on
the primary disk, and it works well.

--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."