Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 13:39:48 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        college@onramp.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Install w/ COM4

Doug White stands accused of saying:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, John Vance wrote:
>
> > I was wanting to install FreeBSD onto my system using the FTP media
> > type, but my modem is on COM4 and the only options showed are for COM1
> > and COM2.  I tried the COM2, but no luck.  If you could please tell me
> > how to have it access COM4, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Eitehr enable it in boot -c, or compile them into youer kernel.

This isn't the problem.

The problem is either (a) that the modem is sharing the same interrupt
as COM2, which is illegal under FreeBSD, or (b) the modem
diesn't have a real UART on it, and responds too slowly.

To the original poster; boot with the '-c' flag and say 'flags sio3 0x80'
and then 'quit'.

Watch for the probe for 'sio3' and tell us which probe tests fail.