Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:09:21 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        OrbinDRH@elec.durban.gov.za
Subject:   Re: ppp + dialing different numbers

* Donald Orbin <OrbinDRH@elec.durban.gov.za> [20010123 15:34]: writing on the subject 'ppp + dialing different numbers'
Donald> I hope this message is coming to the right place... all my other searches have been futile.
Donald>
Donald> I am wanting to use the autodial feature to:
Donald> i)  Dial number A if the destination ip address is 1.2.3.4
Donald> ii) Dial number B if the destination ip address is anything else
Donald>
Donald> ie. the BSD box must connect (dial) a certain sserver if a packet to that machine is encountered; or dial an isp number if any other ips are encountered.
Donald>
Donald> Regards
Donald> Donald

I may be wrong and daft but I think this is an unrealistic implementation without
anything in mind to be achieved. Why am I thinking this way?

o Packets will be sent all the time, right? So which packets do you 'put on hold' (how
  do you prioritize?)
o A connection is already made because there are packets destined to 1.2.3.4 and it is
  a 2MB file - is it not logical that the server has to wait till  the 2MB is sent?

Looks like you're looking for what the advanced guys call OSPF (Open Shortest Path
First??) Just build a ppp gateway and install ZEBRA from the ports as your routing
daemon - and configure it -

_else_ try to give us more light on your intentions.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a
profound truth may well be another profound truth. -Niels Bohr