Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 21:37:25 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Gerard Samuel <trini0@optonline.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mysql tcp connection

Gerard Samuel wrote:

> Hey all.  Im trying to use a GUI frontend on windows to control mysql on
> a box on
> my lan.
> Network tcp wise, everything is good.  When I try to connect to the box,
> it gets denied access.
> I supplied the correct password, which Ive been using on the console.
> In /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld, I have
> MYSQL_TCP_PORT=${MYSQL_TCP_PORT:-3306}.
> I tried connecting on that port, but no avail.
> What else needs to be done??
> Thanks

Quintinple check your MySQL rights. It's possible to have a user that
can access the server from the localhost, but not from any other host
(the root user is configured this way by default) You can even have
different passwords for the same user from different machines.
MySQL has very complex security. This one feature alone is enough to
confuse anyone. I recommend using a GRANT command to create an entirely
new user with access from any host, if you can then connect as this
user, you know it's the MySQL privies that are causing trouble.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand
is worth two in the bush,