Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:39:19 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2L97DS

>> >   Also, the P2L97DS has 4 DIMM sockets.  Only the P2L97 has three DIMMs.
>> > Either way, that is enough for 384MB of RAM using 128MB DIMMs.  BTW, the
>> > only DIMMs I've ever seen are 128MB...

>> I have yet to see one of those. I can get cheap 32 MB and 64 MB DIMMS
>> in at least three different stores in Oslo though.

>  A single 128MB DIMM is cheaper than two 64MB DIMMs or 4 32MB DIMMs.

This is not true from any price sheets I've seen.  There is a very
noticeable jump between 32MB and larger SDRAM DIMMs.

For example, according to The Chip Merchant, I could get 128MB with 4
x 32MB DIMMs and pay $244.  I could do it with 2 x 64MB DIMMs and pay
$316.  I could do it with 1 x 128MB DIMMs and pay $325.  Note that I'm
speaking specifically of SDRAM, here, and there may be cheaper DIMMs
out there that don't use SDRAM.

Of course, RAM prices change daily, so this balance will change.  But
we're not there yet, and it will probably be a few months, at least,
where 128MB SDRAM DIMMs are consistently cheaper than smaller DIMMs.
Currently the "sweet spot" is with 32MB DIMMs.  It will probably shift
to 64MB DIMMs in the next two to three months (I'm guessing).  128MB
DIMMs may be around the end of the year.

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.