Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:14:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@hub.org, maillist@candle.pha.pa.us
Subject:   Re: [PORTS] Pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, Update

On 25-Mar-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * > One other solution is to make a symbolic link from libtcl8.1.so to
>
>  * This is what FreeBSD USED TO do.  This was removed, to the point that
>
> Can you guys stop talking about tcl now?

Why?

> We've gone through this before many, many times, and the only reason
> why we are doing things the way it is now is because we found out (the
> hard way, i.e., we tried pretty much everything) that no other method
> works for something as large and diverse as the ports collection.

Nobody claimed nor hinted that the tcl move on your part was
anything but correct.

Nevertheless, it broke things that used to work, and that work on a number
of other Unix platforms.  Some of the people who helped identify and solve
this problem are less familiar with FreeBSD and its history on this matter.
Others (like myself) break in sweat and get itchy all over every time
something in tcl/tk stops working.

I belive the issue is clear, and the course of action identified.  Rather
than shutting us up, maybe you suggest how we avoid the breakage on the
next package?  I certainly do not know how (in the context of not having
{tcl,tk}.h and lib{tcl,tk} where it is normally found).