Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 05:41:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        thomas.salmon@tu-clausthal.de
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE, Software recording, Samba, Soundcard

> I am still a newcomer to FreeBSD and trying to do the most on own. Until
> now I've read nearly the whole documentation on my screen therefore I am
> already forced to wear sunglasses, however, now is the point to ask for
> help.

Wish more would try that...  :)

> #1) My screen only supports a resolution of 640 x 480. KDE seems to be
> bigger, so to say a good part of some KDE windows is not visible on my
> screen. Is there any solution?

Not really.  You could possibly set the X geometries of each program
to fit in the screen, but anymore 640x480 isn't a whole lot of room to
work with.  It makes for a easily cluttered desktop.  Is the 640x480
limitation due to card, monitor, or configuration?

> #2) After the installation of some packages, e. g. netscape, some parts
> of the program seemed to be missing. On the one hand, a renewed
> installation with pkg_add failed (message: "package already recorded"),
> whereas a de-installation was not possible for pkg_delete could not find
> the package, beyond that the program was not executable (message: "...
> could not be found.") though it was where FreeBSD expects it to be
> (/usr/local/bin). Is there any possibility to recover such broken
> installations?

Make sure you're de-installing with the correct name.  That throws me a
lot.  It's the full name of the .tgz package without the .tgz at the
end, meaning you have to include the version number information in the
command.  (Hope that's correct) If you enter the wrong package name,
it'll say "no such package <what you typed> installed".  What parts of
the program are missing?

> #3) Samba comes nearly without any documentation.  The manpages are
> somewhat confusing especially since they assume a created directory
> /usr/local/samba and a file /etc/smb.conf which Samba did not create on
> my machine. How do I set up Samba? How I do find out how Samba is
> working (what files are to be edited, what parameters are to be set) ?

I don't have samba installed yet, but from a previous installation (a
hundred years ago) I seem to remember having to look at the man pages
for the configuration files.  Try 'man smb.conf'.  As I remember, they
didn't help much, but they helped enough.

> #4) Until now, I was not able to configure my soundcard (Maestro II
> with an ESS 1968 chipset).  My own custom kernel is working so far and
> even my TV card was detected successfully, but not so my soundcard. I
> did create device nodes (snd0, bktr0) and tried the sb-driver as well as
> the pcm driver without success (the card should be compatible to the
> SoundBlaster Standard and to the one of the Microsoft SoundSystem
> according to the vendor's information). Which driver is the right one?

Sorry.  I don't even have a sound card.  What's it used for?  :)

--
Derrick Baumer
bduk@earthlink.net