Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:43:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "upgrading" from md5 to des

I just installed a new server by doing a minimal installation and then
recovering from tar tape of a fully configured system.  However, the new
system is using md5 hashes as passwords and I need it to use DES.

I *thought* all I had to do was change the links in /usr/lib to point to
the des libs:

libcrypt.a@ -> libdescrypt.a
libcrypt.so.2.0@ -> libdescrypt.so.2.0
libcrypt_p.a@ -> libdescrypt_p.a

But this hasn't fixed the problem, if I change a password, it's *still* an
md5 hash.

What else do I need to do, recompile some other statically linked
components?