Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:19:46 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, will@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Brian.Dean@sas.com
Subject:   CUPS dependency in KDE packages

I don't like the way that KDE drags in CUPS.

I don't know anything about CUPS except that I can't print if it's enabled,
and frankly I don't care to have to learn anything about CUPS just to use KDE.

(If I try to print with CUPS enabled as a regular user it claims that the
queue can't be found.  Works as root, though as it turns out that's probably
not a permissions problem but rather the fact that my root has a different
path set up.)

I just did a pkg_delete -f of CUPS and now I can print again (yay!), but it's
a pretty ugly thing to have to do and it took me quite a while to figure out
that that was the solution to my problem.

Could this be made into one of those optional --WITH things?

Is there any way to make things like that optional when installing from
packages?

This may be more of a generalized problem with the whole ports/packages
design, and I understand that it's a little complex, but I hope that a
solution will be thought of.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org