Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:07:43 -0400
From:      Dennis Favro <dennis.favro@utoronto.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-Hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Compaq SystemPro/XL (SCSI) -- FreeBSD Support?

--============_-1247894428==_ma============

   I just inherited two Compaq SystemPro XLs.  These machines used to
run NetWare, but they were given to me stripped of any OS.

   They've got some plenty weird hardware:
Dual 80486s (50MHz) (are dual 486s even supported on *BSD)
Two Compaq 32-Bit Fast SCSI-2 Controllers (EISA, looks like they use
the NC53C710)
Novell Fibre Adapters (?) (something with a Xilinc XC3030 Controller)
Compaq 32-bit NETFLEX Network Interface Controller (Token Ring & Ethernet)
64MB RAM in many (many!) banks
Onboard SCSI (can't find anything that looks like a SCSI controller
on the main board, but there's both a 68-pin external connector and a
50-pin internal connector off the motherboard)

   These machines would make nice, simple servers, but I don't know
where to start as far as driver support goes.  The SCSI adapters
aren't supported under any BSD (nor under Linux or Intel Solaris, it
appears).  I can't even begin to figure out the fibre and ethernet
cards.

   I managed to get MS-DOS on these things, and could probably
shoehorn NT given a parallel-port Zip drive and several hours of
wasted time, but I'd rather one of the BSDs instead.

   Can anyone help?
--
--dennis <mailto://dennis.favro@utoronto.ca>
--============_-1247894428==_ma============

 --></style><title>Compaq SystemPro/XL (SCSI) -- FreeBSD
machines used to run NetWare, but they were given to me stripped of
any OS.</div>
<ul>
<li>Dual 80486s (50MHz) (are dual 486s even supported on *BSD)
<li>Two Compaq 32-Bit Fast SCSI-2 Controllers (EISA, looks like they
use the NC53C710)
<li>Novell Fibre Adapters (?) (something with a Xilinc XC3030
Controller)
<li>Compaq 32-bit NETFLEX Network Interface Controller (Token Ring
&amp; Ethernet)
<li>64MB RAM in many (many!) banks
<li>Onboard SCSI (can't find anything that looks like a SCSI
controller on the main board, but there's both a 68-pin external
connector and a 50-pin internal connector off the motherboard)</ul>
don't know where to start as far as driver support goes.&nbsp; The
SCSI adapters aren't supported under any BSD (nor under Linux or
Intel Solaris, it appears).&nbsp; I can't even begin to figure out
the fibre and ethernet cards.</div>
probably shoehorn NT given a parallel-port Zip drive and several
hours of wasted time, but I'd rather one of the BSDs instead.</div>

--dennis &lt;mailto://dennis.favro@utoronto.ca&gt;</div>