Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 21:11:13 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway Computers

David Greenman wrote:

>    Background: Micron has escentially given WC CDROM a NetFRAME 9201, which
> is their highest-end enterprise server, for the next generation wcarchive.
> It arrived yesterday and is sitting in my garage until I can find time to
> get it configured and shipped out to San Francisco.
>
> -DG

My experience has been that all these machines are drop-ins for FreeBSD
except for their (optional) RAID controllers and secondary processors.
My problem has been that Micron has reliability problems, too many
infant mortality failures in my experience. Yes, they fix them, but it
leaves a bad taste in the mouth to have several replacements to fix one
problem (PS, motherboard, whole machine, in one case!). Nobody's said,
"it's your OS" yet, but I was expecting it... :-(
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *