Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 1999 00:28:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> I rather hope that the rumoured newer version of H. Spencer's regex
> lib is faster...  Being as slow for that pattern as it is has got to
> be a bug of some sort...  It's actually faster to scan the file twice,
> once for the first string and then for the second.

If it is not, how about linking it with libregex?  I realize it is GNU
too, but it will be there whether or not grep gets replaced and the
authors were at least kind enough to LGPL it instead.  Hey, maybe someone
who knows more about regular expressions than I do would feel compelled to
rewrite GNU regex... :)  I bet the existing Spencer libraries would be a
good starting point and maybe the rumored new version is a great starting
point...  But that's enough hint dropping...

Jamie