Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:03:14 -0500
From:      Lane <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Z. Wade Hampton" <root@elijah.oldpathsbaptistchurch.org>
Subject:   Re: strange events

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 22:59, Z. Wade Hampton wrote:
> Greetings to all,
> And, please forgive me if this is a bone-head question(s).
>
> I'm running, once again after 4 years, freebsd 4.2.
>
> In KDE, with netscape or kfm I can only access my own web domain, which is
> www.oldpathsbaptistchurch.org
>
> No matter what else I put into the URL box and submit, it trys to find the
> other URLs, but then resorts back to www.oldpathsbaptistchurch.org.
> I must have done something wrong in initial setup/config, but after
> checking through lots of stuff, I see no reason for this to happen.
>
> Also, I get STOP error code 1s when I try to make lynx from the ports
> collection.
>
> Could someone have a little pity on this old stoner from the 60's and lend
> some advice?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Z. Wade Hampton
> Sheridan, Montana
> UNIX PINE 4.21

Uhm, hey, old stoner!

Is there any chance you could upgrade?  4.2 Rocked, but we're pushing 7.0,
now.

Check out /etc/resolve.conf

Make sure that it references a valid upstream dns server.  Check out "man
resolv.conf" to finger out what it does.  It did the same in 4.2.

What happens when you do a "nslookup oldpathsbaptistchurch.org"  from
a "shell"?  Does it tell you anything about "15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160,
PMB 353" in Arizona?

I learned on 4.2, so I think I can help you.  And please forgive me if I keep
saying "upgrade." But ...

upgrade.

I can show you how.

Love and kisses!