Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:18:25 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   more complete ipfw rules

With all the recent talk of flooding etc, I decided to go over my ipfw
rules on my two border routers to a) make sure I am not letting in things I
dont need, and b) to be a good net citizen and not allow source addresses
to leave my network that dont belong here.

With ${oif} being my outside interface,

I had been using that stuff in

    # Stop RFC1918 nets on the outside interface

But what about multicast addresses ?  I am not running any multicast
applications.  Should there not also be

    $fwcmd add deny all from 224.0.0.0/8 to any via ${oif}

and I was also wondering about

    $fwcmd add deny all from 0.0.0.0/8 to any via ${oif}
    $fwcmd add deny all from 255.0.0.0/8 to any via ${oif}

and I dont want outside connections with a source address of the loopback

    $fwcmd add deny all from 127.0.0.0/8 to any in recv ${oif}

but I am not sure if this will do what I want it to do.  Are there any
others ? What about icmp? Just redirects ?

	---Mike