Date:      29 May 2000 02:41:31 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE forFreeBSDPetition

Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:

> > > http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/slow/ready.html
> >
> > In your opinion, is it a part of the exercise that this document
> > is in English?
>
> <hint>Absolutely not!</hint>

Ah, but think about it for a moment.

- All primary documentation is in English. Translations are always
  lagging behind and often incomplete. The same holds true for
  secondary documentation, e.g. things related to ports, or general
  Unix books.

- All primary support fora are in English. There are some mailing
  lists and newsgroups in other languages, but participation there
  is much more limited, so the knowledge base is smaller.

- Almost all development, and certainly all mainstream development,
  is handled exclusively in English. The common base for communication
  with and among developers is English.

Effectively, the project language is English.

In fact, now that I think about it, our installation routine is
available only in English, isn't it? (I've heard that there's a
localized Japanese installer, but it isn't in the repository.)

I postulate that unless you have a working command of basic written
English, you will at most be a second class user, severely limited
in your access to all kinds of project information. Note that this
holds true for the other BSD projects and Linux as well.

- Shouldn't the resources that are spent on translation rather be
  devoted to improving documentation or code? Are translators really
  a separate group that wouldn't contribute otherwise if they
  weren't tied up with translations?

For quite some time now I have been holding the belief that not
everybody is served well by a unix box on their desktop. Lately,
I have become increasingly outspoken about this. The reactions are
interesting. Some people seem to be offended that I don't try to
fanatically convince them to run "Linux" (they haven't heard of
unix yet).

My latest scheme to make myself unpopular is to become outspoken
about the language issue. I'm sick and tired of the whining about
documentation only being available in English. Let's face it, if
you don't know English in today's Western culture, you have a far
bigger problem than computers. You don't understand the music, you
don't understand the advertisements, you have little access to
current proceedings in science, engineering, economics, arts,
everything. A basic knowledge of English has become a requirement
akin to literacy and arithmetic.

(I'm particularly fed up with people who claim basic familiarity
with English, or any other language for that matter, but insist
that they can't read technical documentation in that language,
because technical jargon supposedly is too difficult.)