Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:33:55 GMT
From:      Xin LI <delphij@FreeBSD.org>
To:        fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com, delphij@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org, delphij@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/71538: [install] multi-homed install trashes existing system & Freebsd will not boot [5.3beta3]

Synopsis: [install] multi-homed install trashes existing system & Freebsd will not boot [5.3beta3]

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: delphij
State-Changed-When: Thu Sep 16 16:22:07 GMT 2004
State-Changed-Why:
Dear submitter,

I am really sorry to hear that your existing system were destoried.
With an similiar installation I was unable to reproduce your issue,
did you marked two "bootable" partition during FreeBSD installation
(say, two "A"s during you are creating the FreeBSD partition)?

More technically:

I have heard some complaints that when installing FreeBSD on a
multi-boot configuration and mark two "bootable" partitions then
system will go unbootable.  This is because that the "bootable"
flag is actually "activate" flags on partitions, which is only
allowed on one partition or the partition table would be considered
to be invalid.

With a safebelt introduced in src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/disks.c,v 1.153
it's more likely that users wouldn't set two "active" partition
at the same time, so if this was your problem, then we would likely
to have an improved sysinstall(8) that won't cause an unbootable
system.

Please let me know if this is the issue so we can take more action
on it, and thanks for supporting the release engineering of the
upcoming 5.3-RELEASE!

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-i386->delphij
Responsible-Changed-By: delphij
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Sep 16 16:22:07 GMT 2004
Responsible-Changed-Why: