Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:23:32 -0500
From:      Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup gui-mode core dumps?

> > I haven't sent anything to cvsup-bugs as in most cases it's not a bug when I
> > have a problem.  More than likely an unnoticed configuration mishap.
>
> Hmmm, I talked to John about this a while back, I had problems like
> this when the machine's hostname was:
>
> a) set to a name that had no DNS
> b) set to an ip address rather than a name.
>
> maybe this helps?
>
> -Alfred

Now that you mention it I have been jacking with named.conf in the past.  I
thought I had everything about DNS working just fine but it looks like it's back
to square one.

Funny thing about setting up named is, every time I think I've got ground to
stand on, it falls through the floor.  I suppose I just need to take a month
out of my life and figure out exactly how things should be setup in my crazy
environment.

I am on an intranet with it's own wacky zone (and incorrect entries), as well
as dialing out and using it for nat.  Things get real ugly when I disconnect
ppp if things aren't either restarted or setup in a manner that I have not
discovered yet.  Just when I think things are perfect, something like this
shows it's head.  MySQL shows similar DNS problem symptoms in that half the
time it thinks it's being run on localhost and others run on host.domain.etc or
even worse user@nothing.

Thanks for the direction.  I believe you're right on the money.

Tony