Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:45:03 -0400
From:      Steve Wingate <s.wingate@cox.net>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, "FreeBSD Current Users' list" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD's ports list" <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re: mozilla-devel problems

> >> (10.24.2002 @ 0903 PST): Joe Marcus Clarke said, in 1.6K: <<
> > With XFree86 4.2.1 running on an ATI Radeon with radeon.ko loaded, and
> > DDR enabled.  Screen depth is 1280x1024 with 24-bit color.  I have been
> > told Matrox cards have a problem with XFree86 and anti-aliased fonts.
>
> I'm running the same thing as you are, and I got the same
> messed-up-edness. Except, I'm running -STABLE. This problem is *not* a
> - -STABLE/-CURRENT problem.
>
> > I also noticed some strange font issues when I first started
> > mozilla-devel.  They weren't nearly as strange as what you're seeing,
> > but after I tweaked my fonts to what you see in the screenshot,
> > everything looked pretty good.  Does the problem persist if you build
> > defining WITHOUT_XFT?
>
> No, the problem disappears if Xft support does. I've been trying to
> track down what exactly isn't loading right (either it can't find a font
> or it's horribly miscomputing metrics), but I have an icky exam due
> tonight. So I'm slow about it ::P

> I've kindof wondered what you refer to above when you say to install the
> webfonts port, and stick "this file" in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. Webfonts
> installs a bunch of TTF files, and places them in a dir in the normal
> fonts location. When using apps that don't make font loading a royal
> pain (KDE, I'm looking at you), I can load the webfonts fonts just fine.

I have -STABLE running on a box with an ATI Radeon 8500. I have no idea what the radeon.ko is but if it is isn't loaded by default I don't have it loaded (don't care about 3D much).
I'm building moz-dev on FreeBSD-stable & RH 8.0(at home but I'm at work) now with XFT support. I'll take a look at the results when I get home.
How about installing the mozilla-fonts port and inserting those fonts into the moz-dev preferences.