Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:50:18 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HD copy (2,5Gb => 4Gb)

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 05:20 am, Brossin Pierrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a FreeBSD Firewall on a 2,5Gb HD.
> Now I've been told that I have to put two 4 Gb HD do Raid Mirroring.
>
> The thing is I'd like to copy my current configuration files, kernel
> and stuff to the new HD without to have to reinstall everything.

# pax -rw -pe -X / /newroot
# pax -rw -pe -X /usr /newusr
# pax -rw -pe -X /var /newvar

-rw to copy
-pe to preserve everything
-X to not wander off the specified device (filesystem)

"man pax" for more details and options.

> I wanted to copy the whole system but as far as I know it's
> impossible to resize ufs partition right?

man growfs

> What's the best way ?

Is up to you. Personally I don't think a clean install from CDROM is all
that hard. But its useful to move things around by brute force just to
get the hang of it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net