Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 19:13:32 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can Sysinstall now deal with 2 FBSD partitions?

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 23:23 +0000, rob@pythonemproject.com wrote:

> First slice on the drive is Win2K. My first FBSD slice has ad0s2a /, ad0s2b swap, ad0s2d /var ad0s2e /tmp ad0s2f /home and ad0s2g /usr  (I'm doing this from memory since I'm at work)
>
> In sysinstall, I created a new slice and made the exact same partitions, only they were ad0s3*.  I assigned all the mount points.  I left the original ad0s2 mount points as "*".  Then I used the developer release CD as the installation medium.
>
> And to my surprise, when I booted up, I had -current on ad0s2, and ad0s3 did not exist.

Since I have a similar setup (along the lines of: ad0s2
-RELEASE /, ad0s3 -STABLE /, ad0s4 swap + -RELEASE /tmp +
-RELEASE /var + -RELEASE /usr + -STABLE /tmp + -STABLE /var +
-STABLE /usr + common /home) I ran into a similar problem.
IIRC sysinstall already stopped me in creating or mounting
another root partition if there already was one.

Should sysinstall still lack support for this setup (I didn't
check back since then), you can circumvent the problem by
changing the (BIOS) partition tag or the (BSD) partition name
of the existing installation's root partition when installing
the second system and restoring its name afterwards.  Later on
booting one of two ad?s?a partitions hasn't been a problem.

See the archives, the question has been asked before.  From my
sent folder I got these handles to my message, so you should
be able to find the thread.