Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:13:29 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmp type 3 code 4: a couple of questions

On 6/27/00, 6:07:00 PM, Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com> wrote regarding Re:=
=20
icmp type 3 code 4: a couple of questions:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> > Well, actually, my homebox will behave, as it were, like a Klingon
> > spaceship: for example, it will normally deny **all** icmptypes exce=
pt
> > type 3 code 4 (DF). When I need to ping, traceroute, etc., I will
> > *temporarily* remove some restrictions.

> If you are using IP Filter, why not let it do the work for you?

> It is very easy to set up a "cloaked" firewall machine like you=20
describe
> with IP Filter.  In this situation, you can easily block all incoming
> ICMP/UDP/TCP packets as a general rule and rely entirely on IP Filter
> setting state rules for connections, traceroutes, or pings that were
> initiated from behind the firewall.  That will let traceroute and ping=

> automatically work from behind the firewall out to hosts outside the
> firewall, but you are otherwise 100% invisible to any other host on=20
the
> Internet.

> Paul Hart

Dear Paul Hart,

in replying to your message, I wish to thank also all the other=20
responders very much.

Actually, I have been using ipfw so far, and I've come to discover an=20
apparent (maybe immaterial) limitation which concerns icmp filtering;=20
which has made me investigate ipfilter as a viable alternative (as the=20
saying goes, there's more than one way to do it).

The main difference between ipfw and ipfilter seems to be mostly ..=20
teological; yet the ipfilter docs gave me the impression it is=20
slightly more flexible (~ fine-tunable, if I may say so) than ipfw.

I am running ipfw with natd right now. My current understanding is:

1) ipfw + natd can do the desired job: if I allow icmptypes 3 and=20
block all outward bound icmp packets, I make my machine invisible=20
(Firewalk & the like won't see it).

2) ipfilter (& ipnat) can do the same job: in this case, I can allow=20
only icmp type 3 code 4 (DF); as to outgoing packets, rules analogous=20
with those applied with ipfw hold.

As far as the final results are concerned, both methods should achieve=20
the same goal; ipfilter seems to offer a little more control over the=20
packets to be filtered, though. Stateful rules are available with both=20
of them.

Is all this correct ? Am I missing anything else ?

Needless to say, a packet filter is yet another protection layer. On=20
my homebox, most services are disabled. When I play the Klingon=20
spaceship, only few restrictions are removed; forgetting to restore=20
the dark cloak will only make me visible :-)

Best regards,
Salvo