Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:33:35 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <scottk@wasabisystems.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I'm looking for Market Research...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there is no place you can get
market figures that are in league with the kinds of marketing
numbers that come from people like Microsoft.  MS generates
marketing numbers from their sales figures, which come from
all distributors and OEM's that sell their software,
as well as retailers.  While these figures are very political,
(since, for example, they claim anyone purchasing Win2K is running
it despite the fact that most businesses still reload Win98 or
NT on the new systems they buy) over the years they have been
able to make a relationship between the market and future
sales.  For example they may have arrived at 20% sales, meaning
that if they generate a market figure of 20 million users that at
least 4 million copies of a new OS release will sell.

However, the situation with the Open Source OS's, particularly
FreeBSD, is completely different because it is perfectly legal to
buy a BSD CD, or download an ISO image, burn it off, then bootstrap
dozens to hundreds of other server installs.  Since the BSD userbase
is more sophisticated than most other userbases there's a greater
tendency for this to be done.

You can get figures by looking at the download stats and CD sales
from Walnut Creek/BSDi, assuming that you can get them from them.
You can also look at book sales for BSD and UNIX related books,
and website stats for hits on the BSD website.

Another way to get stats would be to buy banner ad space on
the freebsdmall.com or on other BSD-related websites (like daemonnews)
as that can give you daily stats.

However, if you want my informed opinion, the very best way that
you can get a sense of the BSD userbase is to make a meaningful
contribution to the BSD community.  It can be anything from a book
(like I wrote) to an application program, to a news and information
website, or anything like that.  For example, look at the vinum
program that Greg Lehey has written, it's BSD-only and so it's
a given that only BSD users are going to be going to the vinum
website at http://www.vinumvm.org  Greg is undoubtedly getting
lots of useful marketing data from his website stats.  You will find
that if you want to be a player in the BSD community, that
putting your money where your mouth is counts a lot here.  There's
a number of companies that have made noises in the past about
servicing the BSD market, done absolutely nothing for the
market, then when nobody pays attention to them they have gone
away.  Tucows is a perfect example of that, Linuxcare is another.
If you want to be a player, (which I assume that you do as looking
for marketing data is generally the first thing people do when
wanting to move into a market) your going to have to recognize
that the BSD market is very young, and the companies and people
that are putting money and time into it now are creating, not
responding to, the market.