Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 05:37:31 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        john@starfire.mn.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: random coredumps since upgrade to 2.1

>Since doing the install upgrade to 2.1, I have had programs randomly
>coredumping on me.  So far, it's been XSVGA (twice), tcsh (once, while
>executing .csh, gzcat (once, while unzipping a man page), and popper
>(once, while servicing a request).  There has been no clue at any
>time what has caused the problem, and it is totally non-deterministic
>and non-repeatable.  This was not happening under 2.0.5, and I have
>not changed any hardware settings.
>
>The eystem is a noname 486-GIO-VT motherboard with only ISA equipment
>in it, a 1542B running at 8Mhz bus rate, NE2000-compatible NIC,
>Cy486DLC(2/66), and a Tseng Labs ET4000-based SVGA card.
>
>Any clues of where to start?

   It's generally not safe to run the 1542B at 8Mhz. I had a lot of problems
doing that back when I had one. I suggest lowering it to 5.7Mhz and see if
this helps the situation any. Also make sure that your ISA bus speed is at
8 or 8.33Mhz - the 1542B gets real unhappy if the ISA bus speed is too slow.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project