Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:05:47 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>, "Chris Wasser" <cwasser@v-wave.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: smbfs > Sharity-Light > *

> ok, count me in as one of the sharity-light users. it works well for
> me here. i was just told that when using smbfs, it's been found on
> another machine here that when the remote share is made unavailable
> (remote windows machine rebooted... imagine that), then smbfs barfs
> and won't reconnect to the share. since i have no experience with
> smbfs, i can't form an opinion about smbfs. i can say that
> sharity-light works well for me! have any of you seen this reconnect
> problem with smbfs?
> -Otter

Well, I've found that my Sharity-Light connections don't hold for overnight
backups.  I shlight mount my 2000 and 98 shares to my BSD box so that my
crontab can tar the files I want to backup.  After a certain period of time,
I get error messages and dropped connections.  I'm going to try smbfs in
hopes that it functions better, and with better throughput.