Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:44:45 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 ELF kernels

Scott Myron wrote:

> Hello. I just built an ELF kernel. Someone in #freebsd on efnet told me
> i needed to put "/load kernel.elf
> autoboot"
>
> in my kernel.config

You need

load kernel
autoboot

in /boot/boot.conf

and ``/boot/loader'' in /kernel.config.

> well anyway, that didn't work(or i did something wrong) but couldn't i
> just put kernel.elf in / and call it kernel. so /kernel would be that
> elf kernel. Will that work? and if it doesn't, why not? thanks.

Just rename your current kernel to kernel.old, and put the new one in
as just kernel. All should work when you've put the above things in the
files stated. Make sure you've installed the boot loader, and always
have a working kernel around in case things go wrong.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key