Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:00:39 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Julian Stacey <jhs@colin.muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ODBC support ?

Julian Stacey wrote:

> Request for info on ODBC, (skip this article if you don't know ODBC)

I assume you want an ODBC *client* for FreeBSD? You might want to check
out the FreeODBC "project" (check http://www.freeodbc.org/). Also,
there's OpenLinks softwares ODBC client and server
(http://www.iodbc.org/). This used to be commercioal, but now it seems
they released it as GPL. It's a middleware (connects to the RDBMS of
your choice one one end, and serves this connection as an OBDC
connection to clients), and it works fine. I used a previous version up
'til about a year ago.

If what you really want is an ODBC compliant database server, check
PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org/; there's a port in
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql). On their website, you can fetch a
postgresODBC plugin for windows' ODBC manager, so you can connect Win
programs to you FreeBSD database. This also works fine.

And as stated in another reply, ODBC is supposed to be a standardized
interface for clients accessing database servers.

Hope this helps.

/Palle