Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:15:54 +0300
From:      Vladislav SAFRONOV <0824@08700000.mhs.rosmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help with ESS1688 & 2.2.7R :( - amp makes only noise!

 Hi,
 I have ESS1688 sound card on my 2.2.7 BSD box.
 As it it was recommended on handbook I added
 some lines to the Configuration file:

 #
 controller snd0
 device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq1 vector sbintr
 device opl0 at isa? port 0x388 conflicts

 then I compiled and installed new kernel, rebooted,
 made new device nodes by typing "#sh MAKEDEV snd0".
 After that I tried to play a wav file - "#play foo.wav"
 and it played fine. But when I run mpeg3 audio player ..
 "#amp samba.mp3" it just makes terrible noise!
 x11amp said "Incompatible OSS Driveross sysinfo=0:0
 unable to get fragment size" :(
 The same happened when I tried to use Luiji sound driver (pcm0)
 instead of snd0, sb0 ..

 What should I do??

 Vlad Safronov.