Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:17:47 -0400
From:      Joseph S D Yao <jsdy@cospo.osis.gov>
To:        ganizani <ganizani@malawi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, qpopper@lists.pensive.org
Subject:   Re: What makes addresses unbalanced

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 09:18:52AM +0200, ganizani wrote:
> When I check to postmaster mail I am oftenly receiving this kind of mail.
> What causes addresses to be unbalanced. What can I do to solve this.
> This is the message I get.

One cause is unbalanced mail clients running on MS Windows.  ;->

Another cause that I've seen is a relatively old version of 'sendmail'
running and receiving those huge "cc" lists that people seem to love to
create these days.  With insufficient buffer space to hold the whole
virtual line, the older versions of 'sendmail' will just truncate them.
This would result in extra '<'s.  But not extra '>'s.

Extra '>'s might be produced by MTA or MUA code that "knows better than
you do", and alters the header lines - a Bad Thing To Do Indeed, but
typical of MS MTAs.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy@cospo.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B