Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:39:58 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Jason Halbert <res02jw5@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connecting a Apple Newton to FreeBSD box

Jason Halbert wrote:

> Christoph Sold wrote:
>
>> Jason Halbert schrieb:
>>
>>> Hey Everyone:
>>>
>>> I have an Apple Newton 2000 that I would like to connect to my FreeBSD
>>> (4.1.1) box for the purpose of surfing the net and reading e-mail.  I
>>> need to connect it via a serial port.  I don't have an ether net card
>>> for it.
>>>
>>> There are instructions for doing this in Linux and using a PPP
>>> connection at:
>>>
>>> http://archive.dstc.edu.au/AU/staff/da/stuff/newton-ppp.html
>>>
>>> I don't use a PPP connection, I have DSL.  Maybe someone can help me
>>> modify those instructions or perhaps someone else has done this and
>>> can help me out.
>>>
>>> Any help or pointers or help would be great.
>>
>> The document tells you how to set up your PC to speak PPP via serial
>> port to the Newt. This is, you should configure you PC to expect
>> incoming PPP calls from the Newton.
>>
>> In addition, you have to enable gateway functionality in your BSD box
>> (rc.conf: GATEWAY_ENABLE=YES), so the PC forwards connections from the
>> Newton to the DSL link on the other side of the box.
>>
>> Both steps are explained in the handbook.
>>
>> HTHDynamic-IP Users (yes, that's exactly the section titles from the handbook.
>

>> -Christoph Sold
>

> I looked in the handbook and I wasn't quite sure what to look for.
> I've never done anything with ppp and serial ports.  Heh...I'm sure
> that makes me sound like a newbie, but the truth is I've never needed
> them.
>
>     If anyone can assist me further...

    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/userppp.html
    tells you how to set up your box. Have a look at the section
    "Receiving Incoming Calls". Create a ppp account for
    Continue with Step 8 from the above mentioned Linux document.
    Userland ppp does set up natd for you. Make sure you get the correct
    DNS and
    Gateway settings on your newton; don't forget to enable your BSD box
    as Gateway.

    If anything hops in your way, feel free to ask somewhat more specific ;)

    HTH
    -Christoph Sold