Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:13:21 +0700
From:      Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Subject:   Adore worm

Good Evening,

sorry for newbie-posting, but I don't have too much time to sift through
archives....

Looks like my FreeBSD 4.2 Box (FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE (GENERIC)) got hit by a
worm - or infested by purpose:

I found a new directory /usr/lib/.fx/
which contains all kind of stuff.
One README file says:
>%cat README
>                  AdoreBSD 0.34 - Based off Linux Adore by Stealth
>                       Copyright (c) 2001 bind@gravitino.net
>
>Developed on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
>
>Installation:
>   # make; make load
>
>Features:
>   * hide file or directory from view
>   * make processes invisible
>   * hide promiscuous flag and syslog messages
>   * execute as root
>   * hide sysctl mib entries
>   * netstat service hiding
>   * authentication
>   * module hiding

I can't use "ps" anymore ("cannot fork" or "segmentation fault - core dumped").
"rc.conf" was modified and three lines with "/bin/xterm" added. I deleted
this "xterm" program, since it was also created/modified by the worm.
"rc" itself shows the date of the infection, but I don't know, what was done.

Anything known? Any ideas what to do? Looking forward to pointers....
Rgds,
Stefan