Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:18:38 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimizing FreeBSD

On Thu, 26 March 1998 at 17:14:59 -0600, Daniel R.  Brownstone wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> 3Coms usually don't cause problems.  It's important to know the right
>> one, though.
>
> I'll check and advise.
>
>> 2.2.6-RELEASE was released about 2 days ago.  It's available now from
>> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org, and will be available on CD-ROM in a couple of
>> weeks.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, and I'm sure this is easily looked up, but is there
> a difference between 2.2.6-RELEASE and 2.2.6-STABLE?

Yes.  -RELEASE is a one-off occurrence: it happened two days ago.
-STABLE is an ongoing business.  It gets updated as needed.  Two days
ago the contents were the same.

>> One question I forgot to ask you is: what programs are you running?
>
> Um nothing major.  Netscape server, a lot of copies of pine
> simultaneously, some perl scrips, here's top, taken right now: (although
> it's late in the day, so there's not a lot going on)--
>
> (top output omitted)

There's nothing obvious there, but it's not necessarily the most
active processes that are causing the problem.  Are there any others
which show up in a ps aux?

Greg