Date:      Sat, 01 Aug 1998 18:51:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI and de0

> About a year or so ago the de driver broke for my early version 21040
> card. Ended up putting an NE2000 clone on ISA to get by. Later
> installed an Adaptec 2742 or 2842 (I forget, the VL-bus one) and tried
> to get it working. And haven't paid much attention to either until
> recently.
>
> The VL Adaptec appears to work but won't boot my 4G IBM DCAS HD. Wonder
> if 4G was too much for it. Or "geometry" or something is wrong. Only
> mention this because the Adaptec was on IRQ 15. Noticed de0 was also
> getting IRQ 15. This is with 2.2.7-RELEASE. But couldn't ifconfig de0
> because "interface does not exist". Yet it was listed in dmesg.

Don't confuse the PCI probe enumerating the device with the device
working OK.  This sounds like simple misconfiguration on your part; you
can't share an IRQ between an ISA and PCI device, and with the IRQ that
you've configured the Adaptec for, it's not being routed correctly.
(BIOS setup error).

> So I got the great idea to move the Adaptec IRQ to 10. This time dmesg
> doesn't list the de0 at all.
>
> Removed the Adaptec and now the de0 is detected but looks like this:
> de0 <Digital 21040 Ethernet> rev 0 int a irq ?? on pci0:14:0
> pci_map_port failed: not configured by bios.

This is your problem.  Try turning the "PnP OS installed" option off.

Interesting that the collection of boards that have this behaviour are
just hitting the collection of users that have to ask about it.  I'm
sure there's something profound to be derived from this.